About Fardousa Jama
Hi, I'm Fardousa.
I moved to Mankato with my family in 1997. Since then, I have always considered Mankato my home, even while I left town for a few years after graduating from Mankato East High School to attend college and travel all over the country as part of the Amtrak team.
I am running for City Council because I'm passionate about our community and I can help our city continue to thrive and prosper by bringing unique experiences and a fresh perspective to the table of city leadership.
Over the many years growing up, living, learning and working in Mankato, I've had the opportunity to see and experience this community from many different perspectives. The people I've connected with throughout our community describe me many ways: an immigrant, a refugee, a Somali-American, a millennial, a real "people person", a team player, a dedicated volunteer, a social entrepreneur, and a recognized community leader with a passion for bringing diverse groups and cultures together as neighbors and friends.
I'm so thrilled to be running to represent Ward 3 on the Mankato City Council. I can't wait to put all of these diverse angles and experiences to work in this exciting new way and help our community continue to be a great place to live, work, go to school and raise a family. Let's continue to lead the way, Mankato! Let's keep moving forward, together.
Fardousa In the Community
- Founded the non-profit Somali Community Baarwaqo Organization in Mankato.
- Started and organized several large-scale events including Breaking the Fast With Your Somali Neighbor which bring hundreds of Somali and non-Somali neighbors from throughout the Mankato community together.
- Served as part of the Emerging Workforce Coalition sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
- Named the Salvation Army Volunteer of the Year.
- Honored by the Mankato YWCA as a Young Woman of Distinction.
- Presented a TEDx talk on Knowing Your Self-Worth.
- Participated in leadership training with Oprah Winfrey's Angel Network
- Participated in the Community Leadership Program (BLCP) from the Blandin Foundation
- Volunteered with many community programs including Meals on Wheels, Bundle Me Warm, Youth and Cops